Mr. Yao, who joined Park, Vaughan, Fleming & Dowler LLP in 2003, specializes in procuring patents for complex electronic and computer technologies. The breadth and depth of his technical training from both academia and industry allows him to assist clients to protect their most sophisticated inventions.
Mr. Yao also advises clients on patent portfolio management and international patenting strategies.
• J.D., University of California, Davis, School of Law
• Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, UC Davis
• B.E., Electrical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing
Mr. Yao has prepared, prosecuted and obtained numerous patents relating to computer software, hardware and circuits; semiconductor devices; communication networks; and medical devices. His clientele includes both Fortune 500 and start-up companies.
• Xerox / Palo Alto Research Center
• Brocade Communications Systems
Publications and Patents
• Former articles editor, UC Davis Law Review
• Named inventor, U.S. Patent No. 6,792,208
• Author of more than a dozen IEEE and ACM journal and conference papers
• Speaker at numerous IEEE conferences
Bar admissions and registrations
• California State Bar
• United States Patent and Trademark Office
Teaching and research experience
Mr. Yao possesses a solid technical background. He was a postdoctoral fellow in electrical and computer engineering at the University of California, Davis, in 2002–03. His research encompasses communication networks, semiconductors, circuits, optical devices, MEMS, and nano structures.
He has supervised Ph.D. and master’s program students, and has taught courses in circuits, optics and networks. He also has served as reviewer for numerous IEEE and ACM journals and conferences.
Related professional experience
• Judicial Extern to the Hon. Ronald M. Whyte, U.S. District Court, Northern
• District of California
• Summer Associate, Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati
Honors and awards
Mr. Yao was a research associate with Nokia Research Centers in Helsinki and Boston between 1998 and 2002, and his work was recognized with several research awards.
Language proficiency (in addition to English)
• Writes and speaks Chinese fluently
Personal interests and activities
• Speed skating and cycling